Psalm 35: Seeing People Clearly and Leaving Justice to God
Psalm 35 is David’s prayer for God to defend him against people who attacked him without cause. As I read the chapter, I noticed that David does not pretend everyone is his friend. He sees people for who they are and speaks honestly about what they have done.
That stood out to me because praying for someone does not mean pretending that person is trustworthy. We can show compassion while maintaining wise boundaries.
When False Accusations Feel Personal
Verse 11 says:
«“Ruthless witnesses come forward; they question me on things I know nothing about.”»
I know this experience all too well. Someone I thought I could trust called the police on me, and I was questioned by a friend who happened to be a police officer at the time. I was eventually able to answer my accuser using his own words.
Verses 11 and 12 reminded me that betrayal is especially painful when it comes from someone we trusted. David was not simply facing strangers who disliked him. He was being repaid with evil after showing others kindness.
David Prayed Before His Feelings Subsided
In verse 13, David explains that when these people were sick, he wore sackcloth, humbled himself with fasting, and prayed for them. He mourned for them as though they were close friends or family.
I commend David for praying for them in the moment. I find it easier to pray for someone after my strongest feelings about the situation have subsided.
David’s example reminds me that prayer does not require my feelings to be settled first. My prayer can begin honestly:
God, I am too hurt or angry to know how to pray for this person. Please hold this situation and keep bitterness from taking root in me.
David prayed for people without pretending they were safe friends. He offered compassion while still recognizing their harmful behavior.
The Human Race Is Good at This
Verse 15 describes people gathering together and rejoicing when David stumbled. They continued attacking and slandering him.
My note beside this verse was simple:
The human race is good at this.
People can be quick to focus on someone else’s failure, suffering, or weakness instead of responding with compassion. This was not limited to David’s time. We still see it today.
Responding to Enemies With Good
David’s behavior reminded me of Proverbs 25:21–22, which Paul repeats in Romans 12:20:
«“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.”»
The passage continues with the image of heaping burning coals on the person’s head. This is not permission to use kindness as a hidden form of revenge. The image is commonly understood as kindness awakening shame, conscience, or repentance in the person who has done wrong.
Romans 12 teaches us not to repay evil with evil or take revenge. Instead, we are called to overcome evil with good.
I can see someone truthfully, respond with goodness, and leave justice to God.
David Repeats His Prayer
Beginning around verse 22, David starts returning to themes from earlier in the chapter. He asks God not to remain silent. He asks God to awaken, defend him, and bring justice. He also promises to praise God.
The repetition showed me how deeply David needed God’s help. He did not pray once and then pretend the situation no longer hurt. He continued bringing the same need before God.
Psalm 35 begins with David asking God to fight for him, and it ends with David declaring that he will speak of God’s righteousness and praise all day long.
What I Learned From David
Psalm 35 teaches us something about how to treat people who hurt us.
David sees people as they are. He does not pretend that everyone is his friend. He recognizes false accusations, betrayal, and cruelty for what they are. Yet he still prays for those people when they suffer.
He brings his anger and desire for justice to God instead of taking revenge himself.
My main lesson from Psalm 35 is this:
Be honest about people, pray with compassion, keep wise boundaries, and let God handle justice.
We can pray for someone without pretending they are our friend. We can choose goodness without restoring trust that has been broken. We can tell God the truth about our pain and leave the final judgment in His hands.
Comments
Post a Comment