Finding Safety and Spiritual Nourishment in God
Finding Safety and Spiritual Nourishment in God
A Reflection on Psalm 36
Psalm 36 begins by describing people who do wrong and have no fear of God before their eyes. As I read verses 1–4, I noticed that their lack of respect for God affects everything. It changes how they see themselves, the words they speak, the plans they make, and the choices they make.
They flatter themselves so much that they cannot recognize or hate their own sin. Their words become dishonest and harmful. Even while lying in bed, they plan what is wrong instead of rejecting evil.
Reading this made me think:
Maybe I should pray for those who do wrong because they do not know what it means to have a deep respect for God.
It can be easy to see what someone is doing wrong and focus only on the harm they are causing. David does not pretend that their behavior is acceptable, but this passage helped me look beyond the behavior. If someone does not understand who God is, that lack of understanding will affect the way they live.
This does not mean ignoring wrongdoing or pretending that everyone is safe. It means recognizing the truth while still praying that people will come to know God.
From Human Wrongdoing to God’s Character
The direction of the psalm changes in verse 5. David moves away from describing human wickedness and begins describing God:
«“Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.”»
God’s love is not small or limited. His faithfulness reaches beyond what we can measure. His righteousness is compared to the highest mountains, and His justice to the great deep.
The contrast is powerful. Human beings can become trapped in pride, deception, and sin, but God remains loving, faithful, righteous, and just. The darkness described at the beginning of the chapter does not change who God is.
Safety Under God’s Wings
Verse 7 says:
«“People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.”»
The word that came to me here was safety.
The picture of sheltering beneath God’s wings is personal and comforting. It does not mean that we will never face trouble. It means that we have somewhere to go when trouble comes. God provides a safe place for our spirits even when the world around us does not feel safe.
God does more than provide shelter. The passage continues by saying that His people feast on the abundance of His house and drink from His river of delights.
This brought another thought to me: spiritual feeding.
God does not only protect us from what may harm us. He also gives us what our spirits need. We can come to Him for safety, but we do not have to remain spiritually hungry while hiding beneath His wings. He nourishes us from His own abundance.
There is something beautiful in seeing these ideas together. God gives us a place to rest, and then He feeds us while we are there.
The Fountain of Life and the Light That Helps Us See
Verse 9 says:
«“For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.”»
God is the source of life, and His light allows us to see clearly. This verse brought other passages about light to mind.
Jesus taught that a light should not be hidden. It should shine like a city on a hill so that others can see it. I also thought about Nicodemus, who came to Jesus at night. He physically approached Jesus in the darkness, but he was also searching for spiritual understanding. He came to the One who could help him see the truth.
God’s light does not merely expose what is wrong. It shows us who He is and helps us understand how we should live. When we try to see life without His light, our own pride, fear, or limited understanding can distort what we see.
David Turns His Understanding Into Prayer
After describing God’s character and provision, David begins to pray:
«“Continue your love to those who know you,
your righteousness to the upright in heart.”»
David knows that God is loving and righteous, so he asks God to continue showing that love and righteousness. He also asks for protection from the proud and wicked.
This reminds me that learning about God should lead me into prayer. Knowing that God is a refuge means I can ask Him for safety. Knowing that He provides spiritual nourishment means I can come to Him when I feel empty. Knowing that He is faithful means I can trust Him with the people and situations I cannot control.
The Real Battle
Psalm 36 ends with the picture of evildoers lying fallen, thrown down, and unable to rise. It reminded me of an enemy being defeated in war.
That thought led me to Ephesians 6:12, which explains that our struggle is not ultimately against flesh and blood. Our true battle is against spiritual rulers, authorities, and forces of evil.
People may hurt us, oppose us, or make sinful choices, but people are not our ultimate enemy. Remembering that changes the way I respond. I can recognize wrongdoing, maintain wise boundaries, and still pray for the person.
I also thought about Romans 8:38–39. Paul lists death, life, angels, demons, the present, the future, powers, height, depth, and everything else in creation. None of them can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus.
The spiritual battle is real, but God’s love is greater. No principality, power, or spiritual enemy can remove us from His care.
What I Am Taking From Psalm 36
Psalm 36 teaches me to recognize wrongdoing without turning people into my true enemy. I can pray for those who do wrong because they may not understand what it means to know and deeply respect God.
When I need safety, I can take refuge beneath God’s wings. When my spirit needs nourishment, I can receive from His abundance. When I cannot see clearly, I can look through the light He provides.
The darkness is real, but it does not overcome God’s character. His love remains unfailing, His faithfulness reaches to the skies, and nothing in all creation can separate us from Him.
Comments
Post a Comment